After watching the Marie Kondo show on Netflix, I went on a decluttering spree in every area of my home.
Have you been inspired by the Marie Kondo show on Netflix or read the “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up?” Then stood in front of your closet and thought, maybe I’ll binge watch the show instead. It’s mentally daunting to see dirty dishes, messy piles of clothes, accessories, or toys everywhere.
You’re busy and barely have 10 minutes to yourself, it’s hard to set aside a few days or a week decluttering and reorganizing your house. What if you can have a clean, organized home by doing a little bit everyday?
My challenge to you is to spend 20 minutes a day, organizing a small area or a drawer at a time.
20 Minute Decluttering Challenge
- First, decide on a small area or drawer you’re going to purge and organize
- Set timer for 20 minutes
- As you empty throw out broken things or items that are no longer useful to you or your family
- Organize your things into piles: keep, resell, donate, or trash
- When you find items that belong elsewhere put it into your “collection bin”
- Refold clothes, use the Konmari Method (videos below)
- Put everything you are planning to keep back, in a way that makes natural sense to you, so you can see everything you need, use smaller boxes or dividers, if needed
- Put everything from your “collection bin” where they belong throughout your home
- How to Organize Your Drawers and Fold Clothes
- How to Organize Your Desk
- How to Fold Clothes
- How to Clean Your Room Konmari Method (longer than 20 minutes, plan an afternoon)
Containers: Have a shoe box, small bin, or laundry basket to put things that don’t belong, you can put the items away after you finish your 20 minutes.
Keep a notebook nearby to list donation items for tax purposes. High value items can be listed individually (TVs, electronics, appliances) and then use another page to tally clothes (shirts, pants, sweaters, dresses, jackets, etc).
Use your smartphone to set your timer or use Evernote to create your lists.
Created Post From Smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy S8
- Canva to create graphic
- WordPress app