After starting my health and fitness journey, I realized routine was the best way to stay on track. Scheduling workouts, meal prepping or having grab and go salads/snacks readily available has been the key to successfully dropping pounds. What do you do when you go on vacation? When you visit a new destination or even visit friends or family, you naturally want to try new restaurants or indulge in your favorite treats.
This is when you have to balance indulging with activity like taking a walk while catching up or doing a family hike. I recently spent a couple weeks visiting my parents and spent most of the time hanging out at their house and indulging in homemade favorites. Here are my tips for staying fit while on vacation.
- Sign up for a free pass at the local gym online. I was able to extend a 3 day pass to 1 week by asking how much the daily rate was after the pass expired.
- Try a new workout like boxing, Muay Thai, Barre or Cross-fit. This is a great way to try a new fitness class because you can’t feel self-conscious around a bunch of strangers you may never see again.
- Go for a walking tour around the neighborhood. This is a great way to see the area, catch up with people and burn a few calories.
- Do a mini-workout everyday before jumping in the shower.
Travel Mini-Workout (repeat 2 or 3 times)
- 25 mountain climbers
- 25 jumping jacks
- 30 squats
- 10 push-ups
- 25 lunges on each leg
- 10 tricep push-ups
- 30 seconds plank with alternating leg lift
- 30 seconds side plank on each side